As I look over this very large room filled with potential jurors, I wonder how long this will take. Thank God I brought water, food, a book and my IPhone!
I know it’s my civic duty, a right and a privilege to take part in the decision-making process of someone who is brought forward for a possible wrongful act. And, I take this role seriously. And I take the role of educator and crusader very seriously as well. You see, sharing what I’ve learned in areas of wellness – health and money – is also a privilege and I feel it my duty as a caring and informed human being to do just that.
For instance, did you know that a fixed index annuity, an insurance product, is like having your money in the market but actually not? This financial product, which is often the vehicle people roll their 401(k) or IRA into, is not a registered security or stock market investment nor does it directly participate in any stock or equity investment. However, your investment goes up when the market goes up but never down. When the market goes down, your annuity is safe and stays flat at this moment. This is the upside. The downside of this financial product is that there is a floor (which is actually good) and a ceiling. For instance if the market goes up 20 points and your contracted fixed index annuity has a ceiling of 12%, you have not been able to capitalize on that 8%. The red line below indicates monies “in” the market and the blue line the fixed index annuity. Clearly the annuity has outperformed the stock market. This a very very safe product.
With this particular product and there are others, saving money is easy while it grows tax deferred and then, 10, 15, 20 years down the road, take the money out tax free as income for retirement! By the way, I am a licensed life insurance agent and can help you with this and other insurance products should you have a need or want to know more.
Did you know that if you don’t have a home business, you are so missing out on many tax advantages? As a small business owner for years, I have taken A LOT of deductions. At one point, I was even writing off my toothpaste, deodorant and laundry detergent! Depending on your home-based business, you could even write off food! Right now, one of the businesses I love and share is my nutritional business – EPX Body. Guess what? I get to write off my nutritional products!
There are many other reasons to work at home and/or have a home-based business.
- I have the luxury of deducting portions of my cell phone bill, my office space, office supplies, mileage, lunches and much more!
- It’s easier to plan time to exercise.
- I don’t have to commute, saving you much money on gas not to mention time.
- I make my hours and can always find time to get things done, even if it’s in the middle of the night.
- It’s easier to schedule personal and household appointments during the day without losing out on work time.
- I find my home-based work environment significantly less stressful than any of the corporate jobs I’ve had in my life and we KNOW stress is hard on our health – another savings!
- I have more time to volunteer and spend time on my personal causes.
- I can schedule downtime, days off and vacation when it’s convenient for me.
- I eat healthier (and save money at the same time).
- I don’t have to worry about “big brother” watching over my shoulder.
- I am in complete control of my own income.
- My pets love the extra attention they get during the day.
- No office politics.
- I get to do what I love to do every single day.
- I can wear comfortable clothes (I rarely work in my PJs!). I used to have to buy expensive clothes!
- I have more time to get actively involved in networking, conferences and other professional development activities. A lot cheaper than traditional advertising!
- I get to make dinner for my husband every night and not have to worry about making it home on time. We rarely go out to eat! For one, it’s not good for you, but mostly because I have the time to cook wholesome, healthy meals.
- I get to choose my clients and not have them assigned to me.
- When I need to work from somewhere else, I can take my office with me.
So, there’s just a few money savings tips that I wanted to pass on to you today. I hope you found at least one tidbit that will help you and your family.
Please don’t forget to sign into (upper right corner) to be able to automatically receive my updates- I will be providing more money saving tips in the near future!
(c) 2013 D.C. Brown