I call it self preservation AND it’s one of the first laws of nature. You may think it as selfish. If you really know me, and I’m like most people, it’s really about recognizing that a step needs to be taken back, sit down, relax and gain the energy and sense of self back.
I’m going to say it again. We get busy with our lives. The holidays fall upon us and it’s go go go. Your friend threatens suicide and you need to be with her. Your elderly mother, who lives across the country, falls and breaks her hip and you have to get out there and help her. Or, your husband has been laid off from work and you need to get out there and hustle some kind of work to pay those bills. Or, Or, Or….
Sometimes, we just need to go into “SELF PRESERVATION MODE“. And it’s okay. It’s like what they tell you on the air plane, when the oxygen mask falls down in front of you during an emergency, take a breath first before offering it to the person next to you. You can’t help someone else if you’re needing help yourself.
During those times when we need to take a step back, take a break and regroup – some of those self preservation examples might include:
- Make a list of things you like to do and plan on doing some of them. Put them on your calendar. Plan them.
- Make a list of things you want to accomplish whether it be in the next few days, week or month. Just write it down, put it on your calendar, take a day to reflect before doing so even. Just get it on paper and then relax, knowing that you will accomplish it.
- Go ahead, plan that next special time with family or friends. Planning is half the fun! Make the grocery list then plan what you might do like play games, watch a movie or go through all photo albums.
- Bundle up and take a long walk.
- Read a book or a magazine.
- Sleep in or take a nap.
- Play with the cat.
It’s called self preservation and we all need a large piece of it from time to time. It’s okay. It’s a law of nature after all.
If you like this little article and think you’d like to receive tips and helpful hints in your inbox once in awhile, take a moment to sign up for my newsletters. Upper right hand corner. I have a gift for you once you do!